Voter ID Requirements
What ID do I need to show when I register?
No ID is required to register. However, you will need to show photo ID when you vote. If you come into one of our offices to register to vote and you want to take your voter registration card with you, you will need to bring in a photo ID and proof of your current address.
What ID Do I Need to Vote?
You will need to present a Federal or Tennessee state ID that has your name and photo when voting unless an exemption applies.
What IDs are acceptable?
Any of the following may be used, even if expired:
- Tennessee driver’s license with your photo
- United States Passport
- Photo ID issued by the Federal or Tennessee state government
- United States Military photo ID
- Tennessee handgun carry permit with your photo
What IDs are not acceptable?
College student IDs, and photo IDs issued by other states or cities cannot be used.
Who is exempt?
- Voters who vote absentee by mail
- Voters who are residents of a licensed nursing home or assisted living center and who vote at the facility
- Voters who are hospitalized
- Voters with a religious objection to being photographed
- Voters who are indigent and unable to obtain a photo ID without paying a fee
Federal law requires that those who registered by mail must vote in person the first time. They must present one of the following:
- Unexpired photo ID with voter’s name and photograph OR
- If the photo ID is expired, the voter must also present one of the following displaying the voter’s name and address:
- Current utility bill
- Bank statement
- Government check
- Other government document that shows voter’s name and address
What if I don’t have a photo ID?
You may be able to obtain a free ID from the Tennessee Department of Safety. Visit their website at: https://www.tn.gov/safety/driver-services/photoids.html
SAMPLES OF ACCEPTABLE PHOTO IDS